Tuesday 12 April 2011

12 April 2011- A Remarkable Day in My Entire Life


12th of April, is one of the most remarkable dates I will always carry on in my memories. Lots of exciting and great events occurred on that day, and I would never forget how awesome today was. Let me first start off with the most important and valuable news. It was about the Debate Day that takes place every year in Dubai women’s College. All year 2 business students plus us- (corporate communication students for the first time)- have to challenge a randomly chosen team from Dubai Men’s College students to rebut an ethical case study from our ethical studies course.  You don’t know who is your opposition till the debate day, and you have to be prepared for that. But the good news was about me and my other three members wining the first place on the Debate Day in Dubai Women’s College. Yes!  We were the first and the best debating team in Dubai women’s College in 2011.It was one of the moments that marked my life for how valuable it sounded to us. My team members and me worked so hard to get this done. We’ve practiced like ten times with our teachers, we just couldn’t be more happy in today’s debate ending ceremony. I truly realized deep in my heart lots of precious lessons at those couple of hours. One thing was knowing that as much as you determine and desire to accomplish your goal, you’ll be rewarded back with what you deserve. Show self-motivation; believe in your gifted skills, work hard and you will definitely rock it.

Secondly was discovering how our teachers really care about us. Before the actual event, we were very scared, lost, feared of losing and even talking to unfamiliar boys to fight for our debate side. It was our first time in life to do such a thing, to opposite DMC boys and rebut them. However, our teachers, Ms Pamela and Dr.Ghoussob devoted their attention and busy work hours to prepare us well, grant their support and encouragement whenever we needed, and changed the negative feeling in our minds. My deep gratefulness and appreciation go to everyone who had an impact on my performance in today’s debate. I owe a lot of thanks to my teachers, my team members and my classmates. You made my day! I dedicate this achievement to my teachers and my classmates.

Thirdly, it is a slightly disappointing observation I found today during the debate hours. I’ve found out something made me really feel sorry for how Emirati boys are. I’m not generalizing in the forward point, yet I’m focusing on a minor number of the boys from what I’ve witnessed. Some of the boys who participated in other debating team with the girls were weirdly funny! No offense to any one, but how can mature boys in the age of 20 or 19 disregard or Underestimate the capabilities of young females! The majority of the boys were laughing the whole time on the girls’ talks, not taking it seriously as much as the girls did, and not even showing the desire to debate. They weren’t prepared to fight strongly for their argument points, they just wanted to come show off infront of the girls and leave. I don’t know if am the only one who felt that way, but my classmates agreed on this. We were really frustrated to know that there are such Emirati boys in our society who still undervalue the skills of females, and don’t believe in our professionalism in jobs. I don’t deny, yes there were great male audiences and participants who left positive impression through their debates, but I really don’t know what was wrong with the rest! I’m sure that the only answer to the previous question is the stereotype that spread in our society specifically among Emirati boys that revolve around girls’ limited skills and capabilities.

I wish Emirati boys change their perception about females skills in life, because it is the time for making changes in our society. I can’t believe or think even that one day we will be marrying to one of those boys! I will really feel shame toward my children if they saw such unserious behavior from their father. We have to stop it, raise awareness, and produce effective generation of Emirati boys; otherwise we will be blaming ourselves for denying and overlooking such hurting reality in the soon future.

1 comment:

  1. Changing boys attitudes towards women needs education. Good education and a strong local community commitment can make this possible. It always starts with someONE feeling committed to do this...

    ReplyDelete